I was struck by how, with a little coaxing, these cookies look like hearts—perfect for Valentine’s Day! I’ll be serving them either with cappuccinos or as a special garnish on an ice cream sundae.
Valentine Cinnamon Walnut Palmiers
Makes approximately 4 dozen Palmiers
2 rectangular sheets puff pastry, thawed and brought to room temperature
1 ½ c chopped walnuts
¾ c packed brown sugar
2t brown sugar
1 egg + 1 egg yolk, beaten
Demerara Sugar for sprinkling (optional)
1. Open and unroll puff pastry. Make sure it is at room temperature and edges are straight
2. Mix together chopped walnuts, brown sugar and cinnamon
3. Lightly beat egg and egg yolk in a small bowl
4. Brush pastry sheet with beaten egg.
5. Drizzle pastry sheet with honey.
6. Scatter walnut mixture over pastry sheet. Make sure mixture is close to the edges. There can be some bare spots as ingredients concentrate when pastry sheet is rolled up.
7. Roll up pastry sheet from short ends so they meet in the middle. Repeat with other pastry sheet.
8. Roll in parchment paper and put in freezer for 1 hour.
9. Remove from freezer and cut into ¼” slices. Put on parchment lined baking sheet. Pinch slightly to get heart shape…it does not have to be perfect.
10. Brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle on Demerara Sugar.
11. Bake in 400˚F oven for 12-15 minutes. Flip over and bake for another 7 minutes. You want them golden brown not burnt!
12. Transfer to rack to cool.